Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Check, Please!

It's not unusual for Ray to come home from work and check the mailbox before coming inside. So, on August 17, 2009, when he walked through the door with a pile of mail, I didn't give it a second thought.

It wasn't until he opened one particular envelope that I started paying attention. He looked up from the pile, "How come there is a payment envelope here with $4.50 in cash and change and one of my checks?" I stared at him not quite comprehending his question. After all, how was I supposed to know why he received something in the mail? He repeated his question a few more times but finally, after unsuccessfully understanding what he was asking me... he showed me.

I was looking at a payment envelope (the type that is sent to you in order for you to return payment), four dollar bills, two quarters, and one of Ray's personal checks... filled out by Sydney Jane.

Okay, the payment envelope made sense. I work part-time for my in-laws' family practice doing billing so there is a large stack of payment envelopes near my desk. Easily accessible. It took Ray and me a minute but we also figured out the cash and coins. We'd recently had a garage sale and the cash box was still sitting on the dining room table. Also, easily accessible. Okay. Ray's check... obviously, she'd gotten into his desk drawer and ripped it out of his checkbook. Now... how in the heck did she know how to fill it out? And when had she assembled it all in the envelope and put it in the mailbox? Ray and I looked at each other in astonishment.

Her attention had been carefully paid to each blank space. Specifically, she was able to fill in her name at the Pay to the Order of section and also indicated numeric values in the value box. Most startlingly, her signature could have easily passed as Ray's. Unfortunately for her, the only flaw in her fraud was the placement of the envelope neatly into the middle of Ray's stack of mail.

I have a feeling we're going to be good friends with our bank manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment